Thursday, February 24, 2011

1 Cigarette A Week Pregnant

Steve "Apple" Jobs Wanted

Some parts of speech of Steve Jobs to graduates of Stanford, I decided to issue shares that most impressed me, good reading:

Sometimes life hits you like a brick on his head. Do not lose faith, though. I am convinced that the only thing that kept me going was the love for what I did. You have to find what you love. And this applies to your work as it is for your lovers. Your work will fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do a good job is to love what you do. If you have not already found, keep looking. Do not settle. With all my heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years pass. So keep looking until you find it. Do not settle.

When I was 17 I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it were the last, certainly once you are right. " Impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning asking: "If today were the last day of my life, I do what I am about to do today?". And whenever the answer is "no" for too many days in a row, I understand that something must be changed.

Remember that I will die soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations of eternity, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remember that we die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at seven-thirty in the morning and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I did not know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me that it was a cancer that was incurable and almost certainly the type that would have been better if I put my affairs in order (which is the code to tell the doctors prepare to die). This means to say your children in a few months everything you thought you'd have ten years to tell them. This means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that your family is as simple as possible. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, which is the result stuck an endoscope down my throat, through the stomach and into intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few of my cancer cells. I was sedated but my wife - who was there - he told me that when doctors have viewed the cells under the microscope started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer, curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine.

This was the time when I went closer to death and I hope its the closest for decades. Having lived through it I can now say with a little 'more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept and say:

Nobody wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven not want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all have in common. No one has ever escaped it. It is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. And 'Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Now the new is you, but someday not too far away gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it's true.

Your time is limited, so do not waste it living someone else's life. Do not be trapped by dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Do not let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And, most important of all, have the courage to follow your heart and your intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. E 'was created by Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and Stewart has brought it to life with his poetic touch. It 'was in the late Sixties, before personal computers and desktop publishing, it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It 'was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before there was Google: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions concepts.

Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and when they arrived at the end of their journey, a final issue. It was more or less half of the seventies and I was your age. On the last page of the final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the type of road you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were kind enough adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. "'re Hungry, stay foolish. It was their farewell message. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you all.

(full speech by Steve Jobs)

0 comments:

Post a Comment